Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Butternut Squash Risotto

This is a really simple recipe, that happens to be from Real Simple magazine's website, though their recipe seems to have accidentally listed several ingredients twice, so I've edited it to be what I did. I never weighed the amount of butternut squash I used, but I suspect I used a lot more than it called for. Apparently it doesn't seem to matter... A hint about that: honestly, I wouldn't try grating this if you don't have a food processor- it would be much too painful. Also, I didn't realize until reading about it in The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook but butternut squash can be peeled with a vegetable peeler! You just must first cut off each end. I think it is much safer to do it this way, rather than with a knife, as I was doing it before.

I had never made risotto before, but it was really simple, though a bit tiring to stir for so much time. I have read that it can be made in a pressure cooker, sans stirring, which I plan to experiment with. Also, I'm curious to see what would happen if I used regular rice, rather than arborio. I'll update once I've tried it.

After making this, it occurred to me what a great family-friendly baby food this is because it's not too hard for someone who barely has teeth, and also, it's quite sticky- great for a young toddler learning to use a spoon!


Serves 4 as a main course, 8 as a side
Hands-On Time: 25m
Total Time: 55m

INGREDIENTS

5 c low-sodium chicken broth (I used bouillon cubes and water)
2 T olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 T finely chopped fresh sage (I used 2 t dried sage)
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and grated (about 4 cups)
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped (I used a garlic press)
1 1/2 c Arborio rice
1/2 c (2 ounces) grated Parmesan

DIRECTIONS

1. Warm the broth in a small saucepan over low heat.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and
pepper and cook for 4 minutes. Add the sage and cook for 1 minute. Add the squash and
garlic and cook until the squash begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and
cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
3. Add the 1 c broth and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is absorbed, about 3
minutes. Add the rest of the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting
until it is absorbed before adding more. It should take about 30 minutes for all the broth
to be absorbed.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan. Spoon into individual bowls.

Nutritional Information
• Per Serving
• Calories 609
• Calories From Fat 16
• Fat 11g
• Sat Fat 1g
• Cholesterol 0mg
• Sodium 977mg
• Carbohydrate 100g
• Fiber 7g
• Sugar 7g
• Protein 17g

No comments:

Post a Comment